“Surviving Camping with Babies” that is slightly dramatic of a title of course you are going survive but here is how I made our trip go smoothly.
This past weekend my family and I went on our first camping trip as a family of four– or as some would call it “glamping”.
This trip went a lot smoother then I could have ever hoped for, so I thought I would share a few tips to make your next camping trip a little easier.
- My first and most important tip would be stay organized and go prepared. During the time before you leave if you think of anything you might need right it down keep a list, stay organized. Keeping organized will get your trip off to a great start and make things smoother during your trip. There is nothing more stressful than not having what you need and not being able to get it. Keep in mind you are camping messes are more than likely to happen, injuries and allergies may occur– pack accordingly.
- Bring toys that will keep your child occupied for a while because if your toddler is anything like mine she will just want to run and explore everything so I recommend bringing toys that keep your little one in one place and settled. Thankfully I had Wes chasing Addison around while I was with Willow and the little break he got from the “Jeep” we drove Addison around in was just enough time to rest and relax before it was time to run around some more.
- BABY WEAR!!!! Get your self a baby wrap, carrier, or ring sling… “Baby wear! baby wear! baby wear!” You baby is in a strange place and more than likely will not want to be put down. If your with friends or family take advantage of them wanting to love on your baby because she probably will not want to be put down until she gets comfortable with the strange place.
- My final tip would be don’t let the first night determine how the rest of your camping experience will be. The first night will probably be the hardest you are creating a new sleep routine and need to get a feel for everything. Watch your babies carefully the first day and night to help direct your camping or travelling routine.
Some of my must halves for camping with two under two. (This list is travel trailer friendly).
- Pack extras of the essentials. Diapers, Wipes, Receiving Blankets, Clothing, blankets, sweaters and warm wear…. thing you DO NOT want to run out of.
- New toys something your child doesn’t see everyday
- High Chairs
- Play Pen
- Sound Machine
- Lavender and Tea Tree essential oil
- Easy snacks
- Bouncy Chair, exasauser… (something to put the littlest down in)